Hibbing Minnesota History
Dean Klinkenberg of Mississippi Valley Traveler is the author of "Mississippi Valleytraveler's Guide," a series of books exploring the history, culture and culture of Minnesota and the Great Lakes region. The fourth book in the series is a collection of essays on the history and cultural heritage of Minnesota, from the mid-19th century to the present.
Hibbing's Daily Tribune was founded in 1893 in Hibbing and has served readers in Saint Louis County since its inception in 1894.
Hibbing was once called the iron capital of the world, and its origins go back to iron ore mines in the Mesabi Mountains. These mines, located in the Mesabi area, supplied iron ores that were mined for use in steel and steel production and other industrial applications.
When ore was shipped to Duluth from the first Cuyuna mine in 1911, Minnesota had become the country's leading iron ore producer. It was a minor gold rush, but it wasn't to be, according to the Minnesota Department of Mines (DNR).
The ore was so good that in 1919 the Oliver Iron Mining Company was paid to relocate the entire town of Hibbing to expand the Hull Rust - Mahoning open-cast mine. The growth was so strong that the Tower mining settlement named after its founder was bought by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).
Hibbing Heights was clad in 1908 and annexed by Alice in 1910 when she incorporated it as a city. The hills were gold-plated in 2008, annexed in 2010 and reintegrated into the city in 2012, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).
Hibbing Heights was clad in 1908 and annexed by Alice in 1910 when she incorporated it as a city. Hibbing Hills was gilded in 2008, annexed in 2010 and reintegrated into the city in 2012.
The Kitzville water system, which the village built in 1921 and 1922, was incorporated into the hibbing system in 1922. In addition to the railroad, the mines began shipping iron ore from the Great Lakes and other parts of the United States and Canada in 1888. The prospectors spread the news about the iron they found, which led to a gold rush in iron throughout Minnesota in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The gold rush led to the development of many communities in northern Minnesota, including International Falls, though most of these prospectors were farther away.
The Oliver Mining Company wanted the valuable iron ore in North Hibbing, so the city moved to its new location, which the iron ore had discovered at the old location of the city. The company financed the purchase of tractors, mainly used in the timber industry, and the construction of houses, hotels and schools to move to the city. They also provided equipment and a steam-powered tractor to pull them to their new location.
Program sessions and other social events were held at Ironworld, now called the Minnesota Discovery Center. In the 1950s, Camp Hiawatha in Deer Lake was acquired by the Hibbing School District and the University of Minnesota School of Public Health. The Bible Camp was built in the 1930s at the former James Hansen Elementary School in the north of the city.
It has a permanent exhibition that traces the history of the wood and timber industry in Hibbs from the late 19th century to the mid-19th century. See the famous artist Francis L. Jaques, who created some of the most famous works of art in the history of the city, such as the Hibbing Lumbering Museum and the Hiawatha Museum.
Built and designed by the Oliver Mining Company, it has been included in the National Register of Historic Buildings. Founded in 1892 by Henry W. Oliver of Pittsburgh, it was half owned by Andrew Carnegie and Hart Ziegler (# 224), then part of the U.S. Steel Corporation in 1901 and closed in 1977, but restored in 1994. Hibbs "original claim was the site of a new mining company, the Hiawatha Mining and Lumbering Company (HMLC), which Hibbs founded in the late 19th century to operate the Lake Superior Mine (later Burt Poole Mine). The company merged with another company and became the largest mining and timber company in Minnesota and the second largest in North America, then in the United States.
Hibbs grew rapidly in his ability to provide the raw material for America's industrial revolution. As high-grade iron ore became increasingly scarce, especially after World War II, a 1964 constitutional amendment gave the industry the opportunity to profitably develop taconite, which contained more silica, as an iron substitute. Hibbs "growth was rapid, in part because of his ability to provide raw materials for America's industrial revolution. Hibbing "grew rapidly, largely because of its ability to supply the raw material, or iron ore, that provided the" raw materials "for America's" Industrial Revolution. "